a good spot

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Politics

Politics.  I have to admit, I've never been too active in politics, and neither have most people I know.  Which is kind of odd, especially as a Reformed, Calvinist, Kuyperian 'Christ-transforming-culture' Christian.  Maybe it's because my tribe wasn't born in Canada.  Maybe because our church order urges our particular congregations to restrict their activity to things 'ecclesiastical.'  Or maybe it's apathy.  Not sure.
Poli -- the root of politics - is all about people.  As I think about the theme of my sabbatical -- getting to know the people of Cambridge and their impulse for the things of God -- getting involved in politics and meeting the people who want to get put effort into supporting candidates; this fits really well.
I remember when we lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Republican stronghold that it is.  We weren't able to vote, but we could put up lawn signs.  Local Republican candidate made the assumption that since our kids went to the same school he could put a lawn sign on our front lawn.  Local Democrat, someone I had respect for, asked if he could.  So we had both.  Our neighbors (they were American neighbors, so no 'u' in neighbor) tried to be helpful and informed us that the two candidates whose signs adorned our yard were actually running against each other.  We replied that we were supporting both.
Last night I attended one of those information evenings.  Andrew Johnson, whose heart and mind I know and would love to see him serve God through politics, is running for the local nomination for the provincial Conservatives.  It's not a lot of involvement on my part, but I made sure that I was signed up as a member as were all my household over the age of fourteen.  All we have to do is sign up and then show up on the morning of April 16th for a real-life party meeting where the candidate will be chosen.  I'll get a chance to not only learn about the process but to involve my children in helping choose a great man to run as the Conservative candidate in the next Provincial election.  For all the time and energy I've invested in helping my children live out a Reformed, Calvinist, Kuyperian, Christ-transforming culture faith, this is probably the easiest and most fun.
So, whether you are in Cambridge and can support this same man, or you are somewhere else and you can prayerfully consider whom you could support there, I urge you, for yourself, your family, and anyone else you can think of, to consider that oft-neglected, oft-scorned, but very real way of being involved in what happens in your own community -- politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment