a good spot

Friday, March 4, 2011

Hitting Mute

You've done it.  So have I.  Just hit the 'mute' button and the soundtrack is off.  The images continue to fly on the screen but at least there is silence.  It's that easy.  Too bad we don't have a 'mute' button for our brain.  I think that would make things a little easier.
For the past 14 years, ever since I started preaching, I've been looking at life through slightly different lenses -- trying to see where God is at work SO THAT I could communicate this to others.  The practice has become a reflex and has become automatic.  Which is a bit of a problem.  Over the next 117 days (or so), it will be my job to continue to look through those same lenses, but not firstly for the purpose of communicating to others but for the purpose of learning, of listening, and of seeing what I can't yet see.  And to do that, I need to hit my mental 'mute' button and shut off the soundtrack of my voice telling others what I see (except for this blog, of course).
So, next week, a few days of silence.  Hopefully, by entering into a deeper personal quiet, I can find the shut-off switch.  And if not, at least my wonderful wife will be able to have two days free of my whistling, something she has found somewhat annoying since March 1 when my warbling went viral for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment