a good spot

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sikhs and Seekers

So, I'm in the changeroom at the Y the other day and I strike up a conversation with another man, a Sikh, who, like me, has the look of having just gone through the ringer from his workout.
I said to him, "still not getting any easier, eh?" to which he replies, "god says, 'no pain, no gain."  I mumbled back something and later think of what I wish I would have said.  What strikes me about our conversation as it continues, is the ease with which he continues to quote one whom he refers to as 'god.'  I wanted to respond with "God says...." and pepper my conversation contributions with Bible quotes, but I didn't.  For a reason.
The reason is this:  I wonder if a Christian talking overtly about God and the Bible opens or closes ears.  I wonder if, given the historical place of Christianity in North America, if we haven't already had our chance to be direct about our faith and that our mismanagement of the spoken and lived Gospel Commission hasn't created the effect of closed ears, or at least the reflex to close them.
A moose's long nose is called a 'proboscus' and a moose has the rare ability to voluntarily close his nostrils when she sticks her proboscus in the water.  Sometimes, I wonder if non-Christians don't have a built in proboscian reflex to shut their ears whenever they find themselves in Christian 'water.'
So, there I was, listening to a Sikh quote 'god' while my assumptions had me keeping my mouth mostly shut, and just listening.
At first, this seems like a strategic evangelistic loss.  Score one point for the Sikh and not even a shot on net for the Christian.  Except, if the Sikh weren't seeking, his proboscian ears were shut to my Christian quotes anyway.  And, if he were seeking, a Sikh seeker, the Holy Spirit would have prompted him to ask about God and my perspective, especially when he saw me put a cross necklace around my neck at the conclusion of getting dressed.  But he didn't.
What did I learn?
In baseball, when the batter sees a pitch coming and looking like it will come across the plate and begins to swing but stops, the first base umpire decides whether he made a full stop or not and if he didn't, then the batter is charged with a strike.
I learned that when you listen to a Sikh who gives evidence of not being a Seeker, and you don't swing, er, quote God to match his god quote, then you don't get charged with a strike.
And, if I am patient enough with the non-strikes, I may just get on base on balls.
So, what would you have done, or said, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment